Found this excellent idea today at Totally Tots.
Put toy letters (i.e. I have wooden letters from Norah's alphabet puzzle) on a tray (one letter per tray). On another tray, arrange toys that start with those letters. Have the preschooler place the toys on the tray with the correct beginning letter. Review first the letter sounds and names of the objects with the child.
(Side note:
The author, Julie, doesn't formally teach the letter names - just the sounds - with her children until they start reading. I found that encouraging because, just following my "gut" :) and my experience working with kids in preschool and summer school programs, I have been doing the same with Norah. When I show her A, for example, I just say "aaah, aaah." I do mention the name or sing the little song, "Every letter makes a sound and A says Aaah." But I emphasize the sound, with the hopes that over time she can put the sounds together to read phonetically. I have been reading lately about the whole-word approach to reading, so I know there is some controversy about which method to use, but that is just what I've done so far.)
No comments:
Post a Comment