Monday, December 12, 2011

Working on Independent Play

Andy and I have been working on Norah's independent play time. Andy started calling it "Norah Time" and that goes over well with her. I switched around our daily schedule so she has her IP time right after breakfast. She goes to her room for Norah Time and I tell her that I'm doing my "jobs." Which is true, because that's when I do my main housework task for the day and clean up from breakfast, etc. I realized we needed to be a lot more consistent, so we're trying to do it for at least a half hour every day, even on weekends. Since it's right after breakfast, that's more doable, even if we're planning on going out for the morning. I let her pick a couple toys or activities, and suggest some special ones to her too. I also have been leaving her door open, and she sometimes likes to talk to me from her room, which is fine with me. I do often have to remind her to stay in her room. However, the overall improvement has been amazing. Most days she enjoys her Norah Time now, and I hear her chatting to her toys, singing, and reading. She definitely still has days where she fusses about it, but she's come a long way. And Andy and I both notice an overall improvement in her attitude after she's had that time. So thankful, and again, I will implement this MUCH sooner with our next baby (Elyse Claire - just found out we're having another girl, yippee!)

No comments:

Post a Comment