Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Mitten

I haven't done too many printables yet with Norah (though I'm so impressed by the materials homeschooling moms come up with and offer for free to print as worksheets and educational activities!) She's a little young for many of the activities, plus I have to print at Andy's work so it's not as convenient. However, when I saw a link for free printables to go along with The Mitten (one of Norah's all-time favorite books), I knew I had to get them! I looked through the pack and saved most of the materials for when she's older, but separated out a couple activities I knew she would like.



The cool thing about this story is that it's Ukrainian. My dad got it for me before I had kids, because he knew I'd appreciate the Ukrainian/Russian influence. It is such a cute story (as are all of Jan Brett's books).

We used the matching game (I just pasted the pictures of each animal and character on index cards and cut them out. Then, since we're working on Russian, I labeled one of each pair in English, and one in Russian. When she was matching the pictures, I told her the English and Russian name. 


The second activity was putting little animals into the paper mitten, just like in the story. Norah had lots of fun with that! Then we tried putting the animals into her real mitten (which she likes to call her "glubby glub" for glove!) I encouraged her to count the little animals too.


Besides this, we've been learning about Moses...


And just enjoying the good weather we've had lately!




1 comment:

  1. You need to come teach my girls! Those activities look like so much fun! And I'm so impressed that you are already teaching her some Russian!

    ReplyDelete